Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Running out of time

All my deadlines are in Jan and I havent made a single submission till date. Dont even have net access at home but that's not even an excuse. I have my laptop but i havent really seriously sat down and worked on my essays. I keep telling myself that i'll do it on a weekend but honestly you cant write all your essays over 2days. I mean yeah you can but its not the same thing is it? you have to think type edit type cut re-format etc etc :D

I'm starting to feel pressured but not enough to kick my butt into high gear and get working. And that's bad because even my recommenders have not submitted the one college i asked them too.

Today is also the World MBA tour and i'm going so badly prepared for it its not funny. Might do a little reading in the evening though.

Am I relying a little too much on luck??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, what schools r u applying to?

JulyDream said...

Luck? I'm not sure you're relying on that or simply practicing the fine art of procrastination. We all do it. In fact, after submitting 3 applications, I procrastinated to the point where I wrote an entire lot of essays in a matter of days instead of the 4 weeks I could have. Let's just say, I didn't sleep much.

There are mixed versions as to how to tackle essays. People say to do your first choice last because as the process moves, you get better. I understand the concept, but if you risk not applying somewhere or pushing an application into another round, my opinion is that you work on that first choice in the middle of the pack.

Start small. Pick one school and tackle the essays. For most top schools, you can find question breakdowns as to what the question is truly asking. Grab a beer, glass of wine, or tea, and start typing. You will have to cut, copy, read, edit, rewrite... but the hardest part is the first draft. Even if it isn't perfect, send your first draft to a reviewer. Ask if they believe you are on the right track - answering the question, strong anecdote, good overall topic, and a clear and concise vision - you can fix the grammar and world choice later. This will be your jumping off point.

Finally, recommenders are hard to nail down sometimes. I'll admit, I work closely with both of mine and it took a lot of work to get them to finish my recommendations. Simply, nicely, remind them of your due dates. All my recommendations were completed the week of...even though most were sent in September.

Feel free to ask any questions or check out my blog. Hope this helps! Best of luck.