Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Defer?

Last week i had dinner with Kunal ( yeah, this post's been waiting to come up for just about that long) Kunal's one among those whom i really trust and value his opinions. More so since he's been taking the time out from his schedule to review my essays( a big Thanks to him for that) During dinner, he observed that I had among the most unique profiles he had ever seen and i should have done better than the 3 schools i applied to. While i am the first to admit that i messed up my app process this year, i'm still intrigued by what he said. He's already been through the app process twice and he has the knowledge to comment on my profile (not to mention his bro and bhabhi are Chi and Harvard grads respectively). So when he says something like this, I listen.

And i've been wondering ever since. Did i really mess up so much? Could i have done better? Should i wait another year?

As an entrepreneur, the though of waiting another year is a hopeful one because i just might be able to arrange for funding for 1 venture. Even if i dont, the place i currently work is probably going to go through some exciting times in the next few months. I dont know if its worth sticking around( of course this is all assuming i go to 1 of the 3 colleges i applied to) but the thought of being able to do my venture is exciting.

What do i do??

3 comments:

Amar Deshpande said...

I would agree with the defer school of thought. You DO have a very diff. profile from the pack, and age is on your side....Defer away!

Neo2000 said...

I probably shldnt be saying this but when you said you were 30, i automatically assumed you were married(Indian conditionning :D) So your last post(the part about the potential soulmate) was a real stunner.

That said, the defer option is very appealing. But another 18months to B-school?? Not sure if i can survive that(assuming i really am going this year) If i don't go, then all this irrelevant and there's a lot i plan to do.

As always, fingers crossed :)

JulyDream said...

Before you decide whether or not you defer, you have to figure out what you want. Are there specific reasons why you want to go NOW versus next year? Do you feel you researched all the schools you may possibly want to attend? Was your venture an original consideration or has it simply become a consideration? Would you be willing to repeat this process next year? Unfortunately, I don't think the answer is as easy as it seems.

Are you looking for a brand name? Or an experience? And are they mutually exclusive? I fretted about having to apply again next year and I'm not sure I would have, had it come to that, but I do also believe things happen for a reason and perhaps you have a little more to do before you attend business school. That alone does make sense. I know I haven't given you much of my opinion but more devil's advocate questions to figure out your own.

Good luck!